Friday, December 3, 2010

Painting with a Toddler

My darling Alligator loves to color/scribble. I guess it is scribbling since he doesn’t actually color in shapes, but makes designs on paper. In fact, most of the time if you give him a paper with a design on it (like a coloring page) he won’t color it. But he loves a crayon or marker or pencil, and some clean fresh paper.

Well, today he grabbed the paint and a paintbrush and brought it to me. So I figured he wanted to paint. (duh…right). Normally painting isn’t something he loves.; But I think I found the secret.

1. He has to have a brush. He WILL NOT finger paint! Better yet give him 2 brushes, one for each hand.

IMG_4098

2. Squirt the paint directly onto the paper. If I try to squirt it into a bowl for him to dip, he will color the bowl. So I squirt directly on the paper.

3. I only squirt a little at a time. He will point at the paint and tell me when he is ready for more.

IMG_4097

4. Offer fresh pieces of paper often. Who doesn’t love a fresh start?

 IMG_4099

Here are all of this mornings creations! We had fun!!!!!

IMG_4100

No comments:

Post a Comment