Friday, November 18, 2011

Turkey Soup… Sensory Activity

It is really good for toddlers and preschoolers (really all children) to be exposed to different sensory activities. I put a theme to it (since it is close to Thanksgiving) and told the boys we’d be making Turkey Soup.

Here is what I used:

  • Muffin tins with different materials in them. We used: green stones, foam beads, cut up plastic lacing string, foam leafs, some beans, pom-poms, and a feather….(it is Turkey soup after all…so 1 big “turkey” feather.

 

IMG_5943

  • I used a big pot of warm water  (not hot, but warm, again for the sensory sensation. They have all played in cool water in pools and stuff, but warm water was a newer sensation.
  • I also had a small plastic bowl, in case they wanted to ladle out some soup for “tasting”

IMG_5944IMG_5964  

 

  • I also set out a variety of spoons, measuring cups.
  • Also I used an old shaker, and put flour in it for the boys to shake in their soup, as well as a little bottle of blue water (extra flavoring)
  • You’ll notice I had 2 of everything set out. I thought for this activity it would be best that they made their own, and didn’t have to share, we’ll work on that another time.

IMG_5946

 

Once I had all the materials out I let Alligator go at it. I have never seen him play with something this long. He really enjoyed it!

Some items floated while others sank, he seemed to like testing to see what would happen.

 

 IMG_5947

There was a lot of spooning, which is great for fine motor.

IMG_5950IMG_5949

IMG_5951IMG_5952

He also loved the shaker!

    IMG_5953 IMG_5961

Here is a close up of his Turkey Soup.

IMG_5959

Both boys really enjoyed this activity. It is definitely something we will do again!

IMG_5956  IMG_5960

No comments:

Post a Comment