Friday, December 23, 2011

Weighted Vest- Sensory seeker

Alligator has some sensory issues. One of which, is that they think he is a sensory seeker. Meaning, from my understanding, that is brain doesn’t get enough input about where he is in space, so he seeks out input by being constantly in motion, running into things…

One of the new things we are trying is a weighted vest. He is to wear it for about 20-30 minutes at a time when he I am trying to get him to do a seated activity. He loves puzzles, so I brought him to the table and got him seated. He was much less mobile during this time. I won’t say that it worked perfectly, but he definitely  was more still than he normally is.

IMG_6146

Here is some information from a company called In Your Pocket: (note our vest is not from this company, nor do I know anything about their specific vests, but I was looking for some information on the vest.

Deep pressure is often used to assist the child to self-calm and relax so that sensory stimulus can be processed. The use of a weighted vest provides the child with unconscious information from the muscles and joints.

I will keep you updated as to how the vest works for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment