Saturday, February 4, 2012

Novice Sewer---Tie T-shirt

Yesterday was my birthday. I am now 35. I decided to start a new hobby. So, what did I get for my birthday? A sewing machine. I am so excited.

It took me several hours to get the thing ready to sew. I watched several YouTube videos, and finally figured out how to get everything threaded.

I have been dying  to make T-shirts for the boys with ties on them. I have seen them all over Pinterest and Etsy, and wanted to try it for myself.

 

I bought a bunch of cheap T-shirts at Wal-Mart and some fabric swatches.

 

Here is my first attempt.

 IMG_6381

Not so bad, except I only had it sewn on the top (I had hemmed all the edges before hand). He loved it, but I was afraid that he would get pulled off.

So I decided to sew all the way around it.

Now remember this is my first sewing project in 20 years (my grandmother was a fantastic sewer, she worked for Singer for most of her career, and then retired to teach sewing at the community college). I had made things with her, but she was a huge help…in fact she probably did 99% of it.

In sewing around it, I sewed the front of the shirt to the back of the shirt. When I tried to fix it, this happened!

 

IMG_6385IMG_6386

 

Ok…so try number 2! This time I didn’t hem the sides first, I hemmed and sewed it onto the T-shirt at the same time. I made the Tie too short for monkey, so this is Alligators.

 

  IMG_6382 IMG_6383 

Not too bad if I do say so myself.

My next project is going to be a tie for Monkey to wear to school on Valentine’s Day.

I am going to iron on some cool designs, and then sew it on…bet you can’t wait! 

No comments:

Post a Comment